Sunday, August 10, 2008

Back to the Tomatoes


OK, now the three tomato plants in the backyard are 7 feet tall and we finally have one small tomato about as big as a golf ball on steroids.

The three plants came from three different kinds of seeds. Did you know that there are 4000 varieties of tomatoes? All of them are hybrids.
Since I am a gardener now, I act like I know what that term means. I suppose we should have given them plant food that was half gasoline and half electricity ~ but that would be silly.

The seed packets that we used for the three pots were called "Early Girl", "Big Boy" and "Better Boy". (I'm not kidding...look the names up yourself up! gardeners have a good sense of humor, I think)
I don't think that we should have positioned Early Girl inbetween the fellas because it seems that both Big Boy and Better boy are intimidated by the other and has become....er, shall we say, "Relaxed"? (Impotent, that is)

Who would know which one IS Better or Bigger since neither one wants to show his tomato! Maybe their vines aren't up to the challenge.

Now, Early Girl is putting out...various sizes, shapes and colors but none other than the wee one looks fit to eat.

It may be winter before we finally get enough tomatoes to put on one salad, never mind be one of those annoying neighbors who bring over 23 perfect tomatoes since their garden produced "soooo many more than they could possibly eat!"

Next year I'm growing dandelion wine.

No comments: