Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What Makes Me See "Red"


I feel like an animal in a bull fighting ring ~ incensed at seeing the red cape.
Only MY red cape comes from having a medical condition called "Pink Eye" or "conjunctivitis" (men like the latter name and women the former).
It's not that I'm grossly unhappy that I have a condition that most children acquire and easily pass on to other playmates but at the same time, they don't give it a second thought. The eyes may water, itch and sometimes hurt but it's more of an inconvenience than a bed-ridden malady. (well, that and the pride hurdle of not being able to wear eye make-up)

Why I am seeing more than "pink" is that:
1) I'm not allowed to be around my great nephews and niece because of "it" being so contagious
2) It cost me $100.00 to see the eye Doctor (hey! I have a high deductible for health insurance)
3) It cost me $108.00 for the two tiny eye drop vials that contain an anti-biotic and an anti-inflammatory

I have read a lot about pharmaceutical drugs and the actual cost vs. what we in the U.S. pay. We are talking about anywhere from 10x to 100x the cost of manufacturing the product. We are the ONLY industrialized country who has no cost containment caps on what the Drug Industry can charge. In fact, the pharmaceutical companies charge less for most drugs in marketing them in other countries.

Oh, I've heard the tired argument that SOMEONE has to pay for R&D (research & development) when in strict fact, the majority of "R&D" is done by universities, not pharmaceutical companies.

Maybe I'm seeing red because my pocketbook is bleeding over health care in general here in the U.S.

Or maybe it's because I spent $108 for less than a 1/4 ounce of stuff that doesn't even give me the slightest buzz?

No comments: