Monday, April 21, 2008

Automatically Lucky?


I am soooooo lucky.
Notice that I didn't say whether my luck was good or bad ~
Yesterday I opened a bill from a credit card company and out tumbled 23 advertisements for things that I don't need or want but somehow the "deals" they offer look soooo good! I have always wanted to see the "almost" all-leather wallet that has 19 compartments...and I have been somewhat intrigued by the travel clock that has an alarm that will awaken you with the time being sung in 17 different languages.
But yesterday I hit the mother-load! (what IS a "mother load", anyway?)
A scratch off lottery-like ticket was inviting me to win $10.00.
Let me re-phrase that ~ the wording on the ticket said, "Automatic ten dollar credit".
Wow! An AUTOMATIC lottery ticket with three gold bars to scratch off to "win" my AUTOMATIC ten dollar credit.
Interesting, eh?

As I attempted to read the fine print, I realized that I needed to enlist the aid of a high power magnifying glass that I bought at an ex-CIA secret agent's garage sale. Then and only then, could I read the hitch - if I accepted the ten dollar credit on my credit card account, I would be AUTOMATICALLY enrolled in a $119. membership to Great Fun. What IS Great Fun you might ask? I guess it is winning the ten dollar credit because I couldn't find any evidence of an explanation of Great Fun.

The credit card company was so nice to send this to me, don't you think?
In fact, they are so benevolent, they will gladly charge my credit card NEXT year AUTOMATICALLY $129.00 for the renewal to this most mysterious Great Fun club.

I think I will AUTOMATICALLY discard any advertisement enclosed in my bills from now on. Do they really think that I could be hood-winked into believing that I could get something for nothing? I wasn't dropped off the back of a turnip truck..I know there is no free lunch...or $10.00 Mastercard credit.
That stuff only happens on Deal or No Deal.

But there IS an Easter Bunny?
And buying time share property in Cleveland, Ohio IS a good investment, right?

No comments: