Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dare To Dream


I feel like most of the Christmas Holiday was kind of a blur. I had some lousy stomach flu which allowed me to sail through the festivities without gaining an ounce. That was the ONLY good thing about feeling lousy when every day there were friends and family to enjoy and lots of food to sample.

So, now I feel great! I could walk to Wyoming if I had the urge. I'm ready to party and it's time to go back to work. Time to begin the annual 4 day exercise program (that lasts for half of the video because I need to change my work-out ensemble as it is too snug).

When I think of winter and the start of a new year, I think of ice skating. In reality, I am a terrible skater. When I was in Girl Scouts, I tried to earn an ice skating badge. My Mom took me to the group lessons and when the instructor told us to skate over to the other side of the rink, I had to sit...and kinda scooch over to the other side. When the laughter subsided (from the instructor, no less!) some kind soul helped me up but I ended up feeling like the "coolest" kid in the class...literally ~ because of the my many stumblings that created ice carvings on my face (and other parts of the anatomy).

But I still have my dreams and I still believe in my mind that I can go out on the ice and perform an inside axel, triple salchow and a spiral that would make each audience member stand up and throw flowers. When in fact, the spiral would be the DEATH spiral and my spin would make people throw more than flowers.

I don't want to lose my dream. Heck, it's the New Year so why not set un-attainable goals?

Today I will find an outdoor rink and dress with skating tights and a colorful scarf thrown fashionably around my neck, wear my skates tied together over my shoulder like Loretta Young did in an ancient forgettable movie.

I will then ~ lace up my skates, take a deep breath...

and pull on sweat pants as I sit comfortably with a hot chocolate to watch others procure ice carvings on their faces.

No comments: