Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cyber-SPACEY


Have you ever had a day when everything you touched in cyber-space turned to _ _ _ _ (a word that you cannot say in front of anyone under the age of 107)?

I admit that I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer; not even the brightest light on the porch; I may be 2 fries short of a Happy Meal ~ but I'm not TOTALLY ignorant about electronics. I can use a hair dryer like a Hollywood make-over artist. The can opener and I are in such rhythm that we could give the contestants on Dancing With The Stars a run for their "cha-cha".
Light switches are a breeze for me now that I have attended the Ace Hardware store class on "Understanding How to Turn on a Dimmer Toggle Switch". ( I display the diploma proudly on the wall...hung up with scotch tape)

But ~ put me in front of a computer that has a TV screen and LOOK OUT! I am trying to channel surf for the latest cooking show instead of installing the software program that will make my life much easier and organized.
"Re-booting" to me means that I missed an eyelet in lacing up my muck-kickers.

Yesterday I spent six hours and forty-four minutes trying to load a new program on my laptop that would allow me to keep track of my accounts receivable and my accounts payable. This same program should also make my life easier by alphabetizing my Christmas card list and send me daily "ticklers" to nudge me to mail out a birthday card ~ or a (fifteenth) letter to Ed McMahon to remind his staff that my house is the one level that flies flags from the garage as it seems his Prize Patrol people keep getting lost.

After 15,438 frustrated and unsuccessful attempts at completing this task, I called the "help-desk" phone number that was listed on my software box..."24 hour assistance" and "Easily Installed in 3 Minutes" were a couple of phrases that were boldly printed on the packaging.
I THINK I was talking to a real person but I didn't understand a word he said because of the lousy connection (two tin cans and a string might have helped) and his accent. I don't believe that this person was anywhere in our stratosphere and probably had no idea that Hillary and Bill have sheds tears in the past week. While we were attempting to communicate, I heard chanting in the background...
From MY end, I was so exhausted of dealing with this whole mess of not being able to understand my "help-desk attendee" that apparently while he had me on hold to pray with the cows, I was awakened by my own snoring.

I'm thinking about now that I will remain dis-organized and keep track of my finances the old fashioned way...with a calculator and my checkbook.
I guess I will just look at the calendar to remind me of stuff.
Cyber-Peg I am not.

No comments: