Thursday, February 23, 2006

Here come 'da JUDGES


Wow....have you seen the plethora of judge shows that are currently proliferating our televsion airwaves? We have, of course first and foremost, Judge Judy, Judge Mathias, Judge Joe Brown, Judge Mills Lane; Judge Hatchett; a new judge (yes, we need another one) named Judge Cristina Perez, Divorce court, People's Court; Morals Court...whew!
This is not to mention the prime time Judges, including now all the Olympic Judges and ~American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Skating with the Stars, etc,
Shouldn't we have Judging with the Stars? Or maybe viewers could have their own show, Judging the Judges? We give them comments and advice and score them on presentation, grammar, enthusiasm, and content.
On a scale of 1-10, how do you like that idea?

Why do we tune in? Is it to hear the nice things they say to ordinary folk? Or do we like it when Simon tells someone singing their heart out on national tv, that they are a "complete and utter mess..I've heard better hog-callers than that!"
And do we stand up and cheer when Judge Judy insults a plaintiff with, "I don't believe you madame...you cannot think that coming into this courtroom you can pull off a lie. I can tell by your eyes you are lying...I know more than you and all your friends and family combined!"
And she hauls in $25 million a YEAR...Simon Cowell does a little better without the judge's robes ~$34 million last year. Should we lump Jerry Springer's show into the mix since the audience acts like judge and jury with their hoots, jeers and foul, insulting questions? Kinda like the other judges on tv...but Jerry, himself, only makes $11+ million/year.
The actual average salary for a judge in the U.S. is $132,435.

Does all of this reflect the persona of our American pubic? Condemnation at every turn?
Do we really relish in seeing people get derided and embarrassed? Seems as though we'll pay good money to see the most insulting ones!

I read somewhere..."Judge not, lest ye be judged" (unless you want to make a lot of money?)
But here I am, jumping on the judging bandwagon....but I cover myself by saying, "I'm just giving my opinion, not judgement"...or "I'm declaring my humble observation."
Yep..I'm right there with the American public, sad as that is.

I gotta go...I need to see my video tape of last night's American Idol before tonight's show.

No comments: