Saturday, March 22, 2008

I Never Cook Alone


As I was preparing some deviled eggs (aka "stuffed eggs" for those opposed to adding an evil over-tone to their dining experience), I realized how many people help me cook. I may be standing by myself in the kitchen but I am by no means, alone.
As I was peeling the hard-boiled eggs, I remembered that Mom taught me that the eggs will peel better if you let them soak in very cold water for 15 minutes. My friend, Suzer, has counseled me that peeling eggs under a light stream of cool water helps unravel the shell without making pock-marks on the egg's skins. Then as I discarded the shells in the waste basket, I heard the voice of nephew Sean caution me against putting shells down the disposal.

Now it was time to mash the eggs yolks before adding the good goop for the stuffing. I used my Dad's Marine Corps fork because he was the one who always performed this function with that same utensil....for over 50 years. I used to watch him intently as he explained to me (with much pride) that the trick for smooth and tasty eggs was to continuously turn the bowl as you mash.

As I retrieved Mom's deviled eggs plate (another antique), I remember how she told me that 90% of cooking was how you presented the meal. So, I got out the paprika and carefully tapped it's contents over the eggs with just the slightest hint of a sprinkle. Then I put the mandatory toothpicks in each egg to help create a protective tent when I covered the dish with saran wrap.

When I serve these eggs later today, I will think of the past ~ when brother Dave, nephew Brian and sister-in-law Connie would fight over the last survivor.

I may have seemed alone in that kitchen today ~ but I sure wasn't lonely.
It was "eggs"actly how I wanted it to be.

No comments: